U.S. News has released its 2020-2021 rankings of the country’s top hospitals, providing an overall list and then breaking it down into a series of different categories.
“Scores are based on several factors, including medical outcomes such as survival; patient experience, nurse staffing and more,” according to the publication. “Hospitals are ranked nationally in specialties from cancer to urology and rated in common procedures and conditions, such as heart bypass surgery, hip and knee replacement and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.”
To determine the best hospitals for cardiology and heart surgery, U.S. News explored data from nearly 600 candidates. Each one had to treat at least 1,817 Medicare inpatients in 2016, 2017 and 2018 to be eligible for this list.
These are the top 10 hospitals in the United States for cardiology and heart surgery:
- Cleveland Clinic – Cleveland, Ohio
- Mayo Clinic – Rochester, Minnesota
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center – Los Angeles, California
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia and Cornell – New York, New York
- Massachusetts General Hospital – Boston, Massachusetts
- Mount Sinai Hospital – New York, New York
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital – Boston, Massachusetts
- UCLA Medical Center – Los Angeles, California
- Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital – Stanford, California
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital – Chicago, Illinois
Back in June, U.S. News updated its rankings of the best hospitals for pediatric cardiology care. Read about that list here.