The best hospitals for pediatric cardiology and heart surgery in the US

The U.S. News and World Report on June 18 released its 2019-2020 rankings for the country’s best children’s hospitals, topped by Boston Children’s Hospital for overall best care and Texas Children’s Hospital for the best cardiac care.

It’s the sixth consecutive year Boston Children’s Hospital has snagged the number-one spot on the U.S. News and World Report’s Honor Roll, and the hospital also made an appearance in the top five children’s hospitals for pediatric cardiology and heart surgery. Texas Children’s Hospital capped that list with an overall score of 100/100, a reputation score of 49% and a volume score of 13/15.

The U.S. News and World Report ranks hospitals by collecting information about survival rates after complex heart surgery, specialized staff, services and technologies, commitment to best practice and ability to prevent infections. Together, those data comprise 91.5% of each hospital’s score, with the remaining 8.5% reflecting expert opinion from pediatric heart specialists.

Fifty pediatric heart programs were ranked this year, including Texas Children’s in the top spot, Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago in second and UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh in third. Children’s Hospital Los Angeles and Boston Children’s Hospital complete the top five.

In last was Nicklaus Children’s Hospital, a Miami-based center with an overall score of 54.1/100, reputation score of 2.1% and volume score of 9/15.

Find the full rankings online here.