Truven Analytics unveiled the names of its top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S., adding that the healthcare system would shave $1 billion off costs if peer hospitals achieved the standards of the winners.
Truven based its rankings on performance measures, using Medicare and Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services databases and reports on the Medicare population to conduct its analysis. This year’s report included cardiac image stress testing and bilateral catheterizations in its measures.
The study, now in its 15th year, is designed as a resource for cardiovascular administrators, physicians and service line managers to improve performance. It lists top hospitals in three categories in recognition of differences in types of hospitals.
Overall, the authors found that the winning hospitals were more likely to follow recommended protocols, with a median core measure score of 98.3 percent. And they achieved lower 30-day readmission and 30-day mortality rates.
They spent less than their peers. The cost of CABG and PCI per patient at a typical winning hospital was $2,200 and $1,200 less, respectively. Winners had shorter lengths of stay, trimming a full day off for CABG and a half day off for PCI compared with their peers.
The complete list of winners is below.
Teaching hospitals with cardiovascular residency programs
- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, Park Ridge, Ill.
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston
- Doctors Hospital, Columbus, Ohio
- Kettering Medical Center, Kettering, Ohio
- Lankenau Medical Center, Wynnewood, Penn.
- Mayo Clinic–Saint Marys Hospital, Rochester, Minn.
- Mayo Clinic Hospital, Phoenix
- Providence Hospital and Medical Center, Southfield, Mich.
- Saint Vincent Hospital, Worcester, Mass.
- Scott & White Hospital, Temple, Texas
- Scripps Green Hospital, La Jolla, Calif.
- St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix
- St. Luke’s University Hospital-Bethlehem, Bethlehem, Penn.
- The Christ Hospital, Cincinnati
- Vanguard MacNeal Hospital, Berwyn, Ill.
Teaching hospitals without cardiovascular residency programs
- Allen Hospital, Waterloo, Iowa
- Banner Boswell Medical Center, Sun City, Ariz.
- Beaumont Hospital, Troy, Mich.
- Bethesda North Hospital, Cincinnati
- Bon Secours St. Mary’s Hospital, Richmond, Va.
- Decatur Memorial Hospital, Decatur, Ill.
- JFK Medical Center, Atlantis, Fla.
- Memorial Hermann Hospital System, Houston
- Mission Hospital, Asheville, N.C.
- North Shore Medical Center, Salem, Mass.
- Phoenix Baptist Hospital, Phoenix
- PIH Health, Whittier, Calif.
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital, Chicago
- Saint Thomas West Hospital, Nashville, Tenn.
- St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, Belleville, Ill.
- St. John’s Hospital, Springfield, Ill.
- St. Luke’s Boise Medical Center, Boise, Idaho
- St. Mary’s Hospital, Madison, Wis.
- Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento, Calif.
- Virginia Hospital Center, Arlington, Va.
- Advocate Condell Medical Center, Libertyville, Ill.
- Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital, Barrington, Ill.
- Arrowhead Hospital, Glendale, Ariz.
- Catholic Medical Center, Manchester, N.H.
- El Camino Hospital, Mountain View, Calif.
- Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center, Suffern, N.Y.
- John C. Lincoln Deer Valley Hospital, Phoenix
- Mercy Hospital, Coon Rapids, Minn.
- Mother Frances Hospital, Tyler, Texas
- NCH Healthcare System, Naples, Fla.
- Ocala Regional Medical Center, Ocala, Fla.
- Ogden Regional Medical Center, Ogden, Utah
- Penrose-St. Francis Health Services, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Providence St. Patrick Hospital, Missoula, Mont.
- St. Vincent Heart Center of Indiana, Indianapolis