Truven Health Analytics named its top 100 hospitals for 2015, based on traditional performance measures such as 30-day readmission and mortality rates as well as a new metric on Medicare spending per beneficiary.
The annual awards are divided into five categories: teaching, major teaching, small, medium and large community hospitals. The winners, whose names were published March 2, showed a consistency in patient-related quality performance compared with hospitals that did not make the list, according to Truven. Overall, they achieved lower risk-adjusted mortality and 30-day rates, reported fewer complications, had fewer adverse safety events, followed evidence-based protocols, posted low expenses and scored higher on patient satisfaction surveys.
If hospitals nationwide followed these standards, Truven estimated, they would trim 2 percent off episode-of-illness expenses and save a total of $1.8 billion. Reaching these quality standards would result in 126,500 fewer deaths, 109,000 fewer incidences of patient complications and take a half day off the length of stay for a typical patient.
Hospitals with a long history of improvement and overall organizational performance also received Everest Awards. The list of top hospitals, with Everest Award winners in bold, are below.
Major teaching hospitals
- Advocate Christ Medical Center, Oaklawn, Ill.
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, Chicago
- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, Park Ridge, Ill.
- Christiana Care Health System, Newark, Del.
- Duke University Hospital, Durham, N.C.
- Emory University Hospital, Atlanta
- Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
- OhioHealth Doctors Hospital, Columbus
- Providence Hospital and Medical Center, Southfield, Mich.
- Rush University Medical Center, Chicago
- St. Joseph Mercy Hospital, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- St. Luke's University Hospital – Bethlehem, Penn.
- Stanford Hospital, Stanford, Calif.
- University of California San Diego Medical Center
- University of Michigan Hospitals & Health Centers, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Abbott Northwestern Hospital, Minneapolis
- Aspirus Wausau Hospital, Wausau, Wisc.
- Banner Boswell Medical Center, Sun City, Ariz.
- Billings Clinic Hospital, Billings, Mont.
- Kettering Medical Center, Kettering, Ohio
- LDS Hospital, Sal Lake City, Utah
- McKay-Dee Hospital Center, Ogden, Utah
- Mercy Medical Center, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Meriter Hospital, Madison, Wisc.
- Mission Hospital, Asheville, N.C.
- North Colorado Medical Center, Greeley, Colo.
- OhioHealth Riverside Methodist Hospital, Columbus
- PIH Health Hospital, Whittier, Calif.
- Poudre Valley Hospital, Fort Collins, Colo.
- Riverside Medical Center, Kankakee, Ill.
- Rose Medical Center, Denver
- Saint Thomas West Hospital, Nashville, Tenn.
- Saint Vincent Hospital, Worcester, Mass.
- Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center, Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Scripps Green Hospital, La Jolla, Calif.
- St. Cloud Hospital, St. Cloud, Minn.
- St. Luke's Hospital, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- St. Vincent Indianapolis Hospital, Indianapolis
- Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento, Calif.
- Virginia Hospital Center, Arlington. Va.
Large community hospitals
- Advocate Condell Medical Center, Libertyville, Ill.
- Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital, Downers Grove, Ill.
- Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center, Medford, Ore.
- Beverly Hospital, Beverly, Mass.
- Centinela Hospital Medical Center, Inglewood, Calif.
- Central DuPage Hospital, Winfield, Ill.
- Delray Medical Center, Delray Beach, Fla.
- Hamilton Medical Center, Dalton, Ga.
- Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital, Texas
- Little Company of Mary Hospital, Evergreen Park, Ill.
- Mercy Hospital, Coon Rapids, Minn.
- Mercy Hospital Springfield, Springfield, Mo.
- Mosaic Life Care, Saint Joseph, Mo.
- Paradise Valley Hospital, National City, Calif.
- Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center, Torrance, Calif.
- Roper Hospital, Charleston, S.C.
- St. David's Medical Center, Austin, Texas
- St. Francis Downtown, Greenville, S.C.
- Stormont-Vail HealthCare, Topeka, Kan.
- West Florida Hospital, Pensacola, Fla.
Medium community hospitals
- Aurora BayCare Medical Center, Green Bay, Wisc.
- Blanchard Valley Hospital, Findlay, Ohio
- Chino Valley Medical Center, Chino, Calif.
- Desert Valley Hospital, Victorville, Calif.
- Dupont Hospital, Fort Wayne, Ind.
- French Hospital Medical Center, San Luis Obispo, Calif.
- Garden Grove Hospital Medical Center, Garden Grove, Calif.
- Holland Hospital, Holland, Mich.
- Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, Texas
- Lawrence Memorial Hospital, Lawrence, Kan.
- Logan Regional